The
time dragged by like an old sailor on a stroll. Everyone in the office was too
aware of the mounted tension as an unusual silence hung on the walls of the
office. I was too angry to be afraid. “Damn the b*tch” I cursed time after time
hesitant to admit the fact that things would never be the same in the office
again. She never showed her face again and everyone avoided her office like a plague.
The curious, prying looks were unmistakable. Obviously they heard the bang on
the table followed by the way I stomped out of her office. They expected an
outburst, query and even a sack letter but none was forthcoming, only a deadly,
icy silence and angry faces. When the day finally came to an end, I was the
first the first to leave, my eyes flaming, back aching and stomach churning
from hunger. Impulsively, I navigated my way through the busy highway and
headed towards Jess’ house at the outskirt of the city. It was an action
motivated more by hunger than a want of intimacy. “Hopefully” I thought, “Jess won’t
ask many question about my mood. How I wish she would give me food and a bed to
escape my misery”. I pulled in front of her two bedroom flat bungalow and
noticed that her neighborhood is strangely quiet. I shrugged it off and took
the flight up the four-level staircase two at a time. I unlocked her door with
my spare key and let myself in and impatiently waited for my eyesight to adjust
fully to the dark sitting room. My tired ears heard the sniffling and it dawned
on me that she was crying. “Why?” I asked audibly in my head as I dropped my
briefcase and proceeded to where she sat on the sofa, hugging her legs. Her unrestrained
hiccups stressed further she had been crying for hours. I reached for her while
my fatigue muscles reminded me that I was in no mood to comfort anyone.
“Don’t
lay your filthy hands on me!” she barked at me, simultaneously shifting her
position from the sofa to a smaller one beside it.
My
confusion was so sudden that my mouth flew open. I made an attempt to talk but
not a sound was heard
“Goddamnit”
I cursed finally, feeling the drowning effect of the day’s pressure. Her pink
singlet that she wore without bra was soaked with tears, accentuating the roundness
of her breast. That which would have ignited an erotic fire that would have
burned all night didn’t evoke a muscle flinch then.
“What’s
the problem?” I started towards her persistently and she shifted position
again. I stood there transfixed as her sobs increased.
“Leave
my house you swine!” she thundered hysterically springing up like a wounded
lion and pointing at the door. I stood with eyes narrowed; the blood boiled
unbearably with a furious rush in my veins. I clenched my fist to announce the
flood of anger.
“I
thought you were man enough but to find out you were f**cking your boss is the
biggest joke of my life” she cried bathing her eyelids ceaselessly. The outburst
caught me unawares as it dawned on me. Such an avalanche almost took my breath
away while I frantically made attempts to solve the puzzle in my head. My surprised
expression surprised Betty as she look at my blood drained face searchingly. I had
a fall out with my boss earlier in the morning and she didn’t wait to throw the
first punch. I was so enraged that I kicked the door open and I stomped out.
Betty recoiled in fear at the sound of the door that exiled the quietness of
the evening.
“She
has pictures and video Dave!” she shouted after me but I was in the car
already, driving out like a mad dog on the trail of an assailant. It was a beginning
with no certain end.
To
be continued.
If
you enjoyed this piece, read more at Naijagong.com

No comments:
Post a Comment