I hadn’t eaten for days. The rain came and pebbled me in and out of cold, I made my way through the thick forest for a good number of days that I lost count. Finally, I found myself amongst people of a very humble background, as unique as they appeared it was easy to blend in. I had the money on me so I tried as fast as possible to blend in; I dyed my hair, tanned my skin and jugged routinely hence I lost some pound. When the guy in the mirror seemed more and more like a stranger before my eyes, satisfied, I planned to attend my own burial.
The ceremony had more painful emotion
than I envisaged, I was buried alongside Joey at the public cemetery. I
wondered why my mum didn’t take me to my hometown, two reasons came to my mind,
first; I was burnt beyond recognition, secondly; she was a society woman and
wouldn’t bother herself with the customs of our people and the so called
elders. Everyone appeared in black, plain and pensive. I felt loved truly, and
guilty. They didn’t deserve the emotional trauma, especially my mum who was
then a shadow of herself as she allowed herself to go into the clouds of
hysteria. Jess was there physically but was lost emotionally, she appeared
traumatized and that particular look laced my heart with the cocktail of pity
and love. No one would believe her if she told them someone was after me before
I died. I assumed that would have troubled her the more, she just mopped, teary
eyes and all about her were tired, troubled and tainted. Finally, the devil was
there, indifferent and accomplished. There was little familiarization, the
minister was in a hurry to go. My mum read her eulogy to her beloved son. Which
I could not hear from where I was, but I saw that she cried midway. Mum rarely
cried even when my dad left, she was a strong woman and I concluded it was a
really hard time for her. I watched all these from the mountain top that stood
beside and cast its shadows over the burial ground. A heavy rain came before
the burial could finish and everyone left in a hurry, leaving me alone to watch
the rain wash down the remaining sand into my grave and Joey’s.
I fed miserably in the preceding
months, patiently waiting for the dust to clear before I would strike. With
anonymous calls to our clients, I was able to learn that a new sheriff perhaps
more handsome had replaced me. I did the math and all my intuition told me that
the bait was about to catch a fish. My boss’ unquenchable desires would not
allow her to close her thighs. I waited still, allowing the romance that might
be going on to linger in my head. There was only one way to find out.
Friday nights were for Sule, our
company’s gateman, “rump extravaganza” because his wife only visits on such
nights. It was for him, a night of releasing the sexual tension accumulated
though the week. It was the only chance I had to carry out my plans. So I schemed
to take the first step on such night. I had bought the equipments and like a
passenger at the railway station, I waited for the train of opportunity.
The evening was damp, it had rained
heavily earlier and I loved that because it would make Sule, weary and in dire
need of copulation. I heaved myself over the fence from the left side of the
compound and greeted the ground with a gentle thud. I had imagined the compound
over and over again in my mind exactly the way I had experienced it when I was
alive and I was convinced I could pull it off except for a loophole I foresaw,
the door to the back was broken and I prayed fervently it was not fixed yet. I
deducted that it would bureaucratically take the office five months to fix the
door as it needed a major repair, I prayed I was right and luckily I was.
Unsurprisingly, my access card was still
working, so I majestically tiptoed to the office and found myself in my boss’ office;
I planted the mic-chips and the cameras in concealed locations. They were high-tech
and cost a lot of money but worth every penny. I left unnoticed the way I came.
After one month of ecstasy that came
from the implicating information gathered, having confirmed that sexual
sessions actually took place almost every eve of working days through the
pleasurable ahs and uhhs sounds the mics picked up as well as conversations
that strongly depicted that the intimate moments were explicit. I returned to
retrieve my trophy. I came in on a Friday night as usual more confident than I
was the first time. I followed the routine, retrieved the cameras, tucked them
away neatly and tiptoed excitedly and as silently as I could. As I turned the
corner to take the next fleet of stairs down, a very bright light was flashed
at me and I was stunned to the marrow. I was caught and it was the end of the
road for me or so I thought.
TO
BE CONTINUED.

No comments:
Post a Comment