Blinded
by rage and energized by sheer pain, I swung into action. From all indications,
my boss wanted me either naked on her bed or dead in the mortuary, either way
she’d be pleased. She killed my friend just to prove a freaking point. A little
throbbing of fear was in the bottom of my stomach and it motivated me. At that
instant, every voice that was a thought in my head was screaming “Run!”
I
pulled my phone and called Jess. She was the next target and a soft one at
that. It would be devastating for me if anything happened to Jess. She was
still my loving girlfriend in spite my shortcomings. I held my breath and
prayed she picked her call. She picked at first ring, what a surprise! Jess had
the very annoying habit of rejecting call during her tantrums usually caused by
our frequent face-off but that day was different. She was in the spirit. I felt
her shake at the sound of my voice. My instructions were simply and straight. She
was an intelligent girl who had a good sense so she knew I was never as serious
as I sounded on the phone.
“Jess!”
I whispered when she picked, afraid even of the wall.
“It’s
important that you know this, I love you. Secondly, you have to go away, to
village or anywhere far from here just go to a place you have not been for a
long time. Someone is after me, that person is powerful and wants me to do
something awful and is enjoying killing my friends just to get me to do that
bad stuff. I am not going to do it but I want you to run. Faster than your leg
can carry you” I caught my breath and continued.
“Behind
that cupboard beside your bed, I hid a Union Bank ATM card, it’s unused but
activated. The pin is 3737. The money in the account will be enough to sustain
you for as long as the current situation linger especially if you avoid those
expensive make up stores and boutique” my lips curved into a weak smile in spite
myself and my bag full of worries.
“We
won’t talk for awhile but don’t believe everything you hear.” By the time I finished she was sobbing.
“Don’t
leave me Dave”, she gasped.
Despite
that I said a quick goodbye and hung up the phone.
I
left my door ajar and ran into my car; I was acting faster than I was thinking.
I wasn’t worried about my mum she knew how to take care of herself but tipped
her off with a text that warned her to be careful. By the time I left I had
already brought Joey down from where they hung him and I laid him peacefully on
my bed. He looked like he was sleeping and I cried again. I drove furiously to
a mortuary I had heard so much about. It harbored the corpses of criminals,
cultists and unidentified accident victims. The mortician must have lost count
because they kept piling up and I figured he wouldn’t miss a missing corpse or
bother to raise alarm. I was too scared to be scared, I simply stole a corpse
that closely fitted my description. I dumped him in my car trunk and drove back
as madly as I came.
I
had contemplated a lot of things from going to the police to talking to my mum
about my horrifying encounter with my boss; committing murder because of sex
awakened me to her capabilities and possibilities as well if the sexcapade
continued. Every critical thought envisioned me on the losing end except one;
faking my death and moving in and with the shadows until I could strike
ruthlessly and unexpectedly. That was exactly what I was doing. I got home,
deposited the corpse beside Joey after dressing him up with the clothes I wore
that day. I “pimped” him up with my gold chain, ring and necklace. I said my
final good bye to Joey, I lighted the candle close to the kitchen and leaked my
kitchen gas after I sprayed petrol everywhere, parked my car close enough for
it to get burnt. I knew the gas would soon find the naked light and together
with the petrol they’d create a “helluva” inferno. I ran as fast as my leg
could carry me. I wanted the house and the dead bodies to burn so much that the
forensic would found nothing even though I knew no forensic was coming; no one
would even try to investigate. They would simply take the bait and bury me
sorrowfully. An increased feeling of freedom was stepping in when I heard the loud
explosion and it dawned on me that I became a wanderer that instant. I prayed,
cried and felt the rest of mind that left me since after the elevator
encounter. In the morning, the world would know that Dave was dead. I mourned heartrendingly for those that will mourn for me especially my mum and Jess. I turned
to catch the final glimpse of the flames that kept burning like hell on earth. I
covered my head with the hood and entered the forest leaving everything behind.
They say “the fun is in the planning” I was going into the shadows to plan for
a come-back. I smiled to myself when it sank that I just pulled a stunt that I had
seen countless times in the movies, the feeling was already exhilarating.
TO
BE CONTINUED.
CHEERS.

No comments:
Post a Comment